Thursday 12 December 2013

World Generation with Settlers of Catan

A thought just occurred to me while I was sitting at my desk, just after getting back from lunch.

The Settlers of Catan game and its expansions could be used for building continents in a D&D type game.

Four methods for generating landmasses come immediately to my mind:

  • Standard Board Setup rules from the core game and its expansions
  • Shaping landmasses as you see fit
  • Randomly throwing tiles on a surface and then smoothing everything out once your pile has been depleted
  • Taking the stack of tiles you plan to use, throwing the entire shuffled bunch up in the air, then smoothing out the arrangement.
Additional details can be filled in later, like towns, roads, villages, castles, dungeons, rivers, etc.

This bears some thought and experimentation when I get home tonight, or this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment